Happy New Year! Wishing all users of the 24Fit Workout a Happy and Healthy 2015. Good luck with all of your fitness goals!
Here are some tips for losing body fat in the New Year:
1. Min 15g of protein with every meal, personalised to the individual. For example, a male who is 5ft 10″ requires more protein than a female at 5 ft. 4″. Contact us for a protein prescription.
2. Think plant protein on every shopping trip e.g. Quinoa/Almonds. Plant Protein is low in saturated fat, alkaline-forming and easy to digest.
3. Choose Formula 1 Shake for breakfast, a healthy and tasty form of plant protein and also contains complex carbs fibre and nutrients.
4. Focus on balanced nutrition, replace high fat, high calorie, high sugar, low nutrition foods with nutritionally dense foods such as the Formula 1 Nutritional Shake Mix and meal bars. If you don’t maintain good levels of macro and micro nutrients, you may find you are never satisfied after eating, or still lack energy, making you reach for products such as sugary drinks, biscuits or other unhealthy snacks. These foods can cause an energy spike (rise in blood sugar) followed by an energy crash (fall in blood sugar), which leads to further fatigue and hunger. vitamins and minerals play a key role in cell function converting macronutrients into energy. It’s not just about counting calories it’s about balanced nutrition.
5. Skip the empty calories of starchy or sugary food. Avoid processed carbs. They prevent use of fats, spike insulin, and cause inflammation. Don’t eat carbs alone.
6. Find alternative to carb based snacks with those sugar highs and lows. Choose from fruit, protein and vegetable snacks. Eat protein with every snack e.g. 4 almonds with an apple
7. Ideal proportions for balanced main meal? 1/2 vegetable/salad, 1/4 protein, 1/4 carbs
8. 24Fit Nutrition Philosophy: 30% fats, 40% carbs, 30% protein from both foods and supplements
9. Take a break after each course. It takes about 20 minutes for your stomach to communicate to your brain that it has had enough. You’ll enjoy more, and eat less.
10. Focus on low GI foods, by virtue of their slow digestion and absorption, produce gradual rises in blood sugar and insulin levels.
11. Use the Herbalife meal replacement programme to reduce your calorie intake say 250-500 calories less than your active metabolic rate. And calorie intake personalised to body composition, gender and activity. To lose weight you need to create a deficit in calories from your active metabolic rate. However, WITHOUT LOSING LEAN MUSCLE. There here are 101 ways to reduce your calorie intake, but many restricted diets may lead to losing muscle. Reduce calories whilst getting many more nutrients than everyday foods ( protein, fibre, vitamins & minerals, complex carbs), the science of meal replacement. Feed the body so its gets everything it needs, its fully nourished, that’s not a low calorie cereal for breakfast and low calorie soup for lunch! Exercise on a restricted diet, can be counterproductive as you lose muscle rather than gain it..
12. The key to sustainable weight loss (as opposed to the “yoyo” weight loss and weight gain of trendy weight loss fads) is a high resting metabolic rate as well as balanced nutrition. Your resting metabolic rate, or the calories you burn throughout every minute of the day, is much more important for weight management than the calories you burn while exercising. One pound of muscle burns about 15 calories, one pound of fat burns 3 calories.
13. Strength training 3 times a week for 30 mins (at gym with equipment, a class with weights, fit camp with own body weight, at home with resistance bands/dumbbells with the 24Fit Workout)
14. Take part in your favourite cardio exercise (dancing, walking, running etc.)
15. Over 35? Step up your strength training. By your mid-30s, most people still look young, but are already experiencing the BIG Three of aging: deteriorating lean muscle mass, worsening posture, and crumbling joints.
16. Choose “Periodization Training” (24 Fit Workout) over the “Militarization of Fitness“. Teach your body to burn body fat over time rather than just burn carbs.
17. Use a post workout shake after training which accelerates lean muscle growth, which in turn revs your metabolism and burns more fat, and speeds up recovery. Eating soon after your workout not only speeds the recovery process, it also can prevent you from feeling deeply ravenous and overeating later on. Recovery shake = 10-20 of protein.
18. Focus on metabolic age and resting metabolic rate rather than weight and BMI. Metabolic age can give you greater insight into your health habits. A metabolic age that is substantially lower than your chronological age means, compared to the average person in your age group, you have more muscle mass, less fat, are probably more active, and therefore can consume more calories.
19. Metabolic testing unlocks the secrets held in the individual physiology of each of our clients and is crucial to our success in helping people of all ages and abilities reach peak fitness and optimum body weight. Many clients come to us in frustration because they have reduced their calorie intake and increased their training, but are still unable to achieve the body they desire. At this point, they are consuming fewer calories than their body needs for basic systems function, forcing their metabolism to slow to an idle to conserve every calorie consumed. The result is a sluggish metabolism that stores fat instead of burning it for energy. With the information gleaned from this test, we can accurately prescribe for you the quantity of calories you need in order to keep your metabolism revving all day long. The result is less body fat and more energy.
20. Pick a Spring Event Goal: Having a specific event to train for like a 5K or a charity bike ride will give you purpose and added motivation to train through the difficult winter months.
21. Utilise Herbalife Challenges: Level 10 Body Transformation Challenge, 5k in 5 weeks, Weight Loss (biggest loser challenge), and 24 Fit Challenge. It takes 90 days to change eating and exercise habits so use the 90 day challenges to help you with motivation.
Education, advice and support
22. Use Wellness Coaching with 24Fit to transition from where you are to where you would like to be: 1.Nutrition 2.Exercise 3.Metabolic Analysis. 4.Challenges, 5. Education, advice and support.
23. Use Herbalife programmes to establish a healthy pattern for yourself a structured eating routine – say, a Formula 1 shake in the morning, a piece of fruit mid-morning, a salad or veggies with protein for lunch(or another shake or meal bar), a protein snack in the afternoon, and a well-balanced dinner. Programmes available:
“Get Lean and Fit”
In summary, balanced nutrition, a healthy active lifestyle, tracking results, challenges and a personalised programme to get results. Message us for advice.